Classic, authentic, original – and air-cooled. This is what the BMW R nineT models stand for. The new R nineT /5 provides another addition to the successful BMW Motorrad Heritage world of experience, this time with special historical roots: the model marks the 50th anniversary of the legendary /5 series and at the same time the start of BMW Motorrad production at the BMW plant in Berlin Spandau 50 years ago.
BMW automobile production increased enormously in the 1960s, so the decision was made to move BMW motorcycles production to Berlin. Operations got underway in 1969 with some 400 staff and a new series: the /5 models R 50/5, R 60/5 and R 75/5. With a completely newly developed chassis and engine along with a fresh, modern design, BMW made a lasting impact on the expanding motorcycle market of the time. The /5 models saw instant success, thrilling customers with a combination of riding dynamics on country roads and travel comfort.
The BMW Motorrad anniversary model R nineT /5 not only marks the 50th anniversary of the /5 series and 50 years of BMW Motorrad production in Berlin Spandau, however. Fitted as standard with heated grips, the R nineT /5 also rekindles memories of that bygone era, bringing the /5 models back to life with nostalgic charm but in a contemporary form.
The anniversary model features contemporary knee pads, for example, as well as an elaborate body finish in Lupine Blue metallic with smoke effect and double line marking on the fuel tank, which bears the anniversary emblem. Chrome for the rear mirrors, exhaust manifold and rear silencer likewise hark back to the historical archetype, as does the double seat contoured in the style of the /5 with cross-embossing on the cover, grab straps and white piping as well as gaiters on the telescopic fork.
The coating of the engine, gearbox, fork slider tubes, wheel hubs and spokes in Aluminium Silver also stylishly evokes the legendary /5 models, as do the components finished in black such as the frame and the propeller shaft casing.
Highlights of the BMW R nineT /5:
- 1170cc boxer engine with an output of 81 kW (110 hp) that meets EU4 requirements.
- Spoke wheels, 3.5 x 17 inches at the front and 5.5 x 17 inches at the rear.
- 320mm twin disc brake at the front.
- ABS as standard.
- ASC (Automatic Stability Control) as standard.
- Heated grips as standard.
- 2-in-1 exhaust system made of stainless steel with chrome manifolds and rear silencer.
- Chrome mirrors.
- Fuel tank with knee pads and elaborate paint finish in Lupine Blue metallic with smoke effect and double line marking.
- Front mudguard in Lupine Blue metallic with double line marking.
- Double seat with chrome decorative elements and white piping, evoking the historic predecessor.
- Fork slider tubes, wheel hubs
andspokes in Aluminium Silver.
- Telescopic fork with gaiters.
- High-end details such as fork bridges and footrests in forged, clear
Photos: BMW Group Press